How to prepare for a high altitude trek in the Himalayas?
Treks in the Himalayas vary from easy to difficult to strenuous and beyond. One needs to understand the difficulty level and be ready to ensure that you enjoy every moment at the trek. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
BEFORE THE TREK:
1. Fitness: Though it is important to be fit all the time, treks demand a little extra. It is highly recommended to follow a well-defined fitness regime at least 3 months prior to the trek. Here’s your simple guide:
2. Food: It is quite obvious that the food served at the trek will be local to that specific region. Thus, the food served at the treks will mostly be North-Indian, vegetarian food like chawal, roti, dal and subzi.
The breakfasts and dinners will be heavy, while lunches will be lighter and often packed for consumption en route. To be absolutely comfortable at the trek, it is better to get used to this cycle of meals. Also note that at high altitudes, food will be served in dining tents and trekkers have to sit on the floor to eat it.
3. What to pack?: Trekking to a high-altitude treks calls for a number of things to make your experience better. The key to a perfect packing list is consciously packing your bag for the things you only ‘need’.
Get a list of what needs to be packed right here: http://trekthehimalayas.com/trek-essentials/
DURING THE TREK:
On the trail:
1. How to dress?: It is important to dress appropriately for a high-altitude trek. Sturdy hiking boots, layered, clothing, cap/hat, sunglasses are mandatory.
Layered clothing: Quick dry layer >> Woollen jacket >> Waterproof jacket
Also note that while choosing the outer layers, go for a size bigger so that you can fit the inner layers in it comfortably.
2. Being in one group: While on the trail, ensure that you are never left on your own. Understand your pace and be with the trekkers with similar pace.
3. Nature’s calls: On the trail, ensure that you relieve yourself away from any source of water/habitation.
4. Illnesses & first aid: All our Trek Leaders are Wilderness First Aid responders and carry a well-stocked first aid kid. Do talk to your trek leader if you experience any physical illness.
We do not allow smoking or drinking at the trek. Here’s why:
At the campsite
1. Tents: The tents will be shared by two to three trekkers, so keep your footwear and luggage outside the tent to make it even more spacious.
2. Toilet tents: These tents have a pit for the ‘tasks’ and offer complete privacy. Just ensure that you cover up all the ‘evidence’ with sufficient soil. Because of the pit, the seating will be in ‘Indian style’, so it’s advised to get used to it as you plan for the trek.
- How to trek from home in the time of COVID-19
- Why Ruinsara Tal is not a part of our Har Ki Dun Itinerary anymore?
- Coronavirus and Trekking in the Himalayas
The Storm Unsettled
BEST FOOT FORWARD
- Mega offer and contest is now on
Summer treks never to miss: Treks that signify every aspect of life
Dayara Bugyal Trek
Six years old conquering Dayara Bugyal trek
Welcoming 2020 with a bang: Introducing new challenges for the new decade
Chopta Chandrashila trek: An adventure to cherish, and reminisce in times to come
To rent or not to rent
Making a career as a Trek Leader
Getting fit in less than month for trek
The Buran Ghati Trails
Climb. Breathe. Pause. Repeat.
Dayara Bugyal Trek
We offer Chadar trek at the best market price
How to stay warm in cold Winter treks
Rupin Pass – Second time lucky
Insight into better eyesight while trekking (Lens or Specs or LASIK)
Walking in Snow
Trek Hacks: How to choose your trekking shoes
Trek Hacks: Using trekking pole
Do’s and Don’t’s for Winter treks
Trek Hacks: Tightening backpack
Trek Hacks: Lifting backpack
Trek hacks: Using tents efficiently
Trek hacks: Using a sleeping bag
Everything you need to know about our first summit of Kang Yatse II
Wonders of the Chadar trek
Thank you for making us the Best Adventure Provider
- The Hills Are Alive!
- A glimpse of heaven – Valley of Flowers Trek
- Trekking In The Heavenly Abode Of Lord “Shiva”
- Post monsoon trekking season: The best, a trekker can get
- TAPOVAN… A Paradise where GODS reside
- Daily updates on Kashmir treks 2019 – (Called off all batches)
- Misconceptions of Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani
- Buran Ghati… um, what’s that?
- Stok – We will be back
- Myths about AMS
- 4th May to 14th May 2019 – Goechala Trek – Group of 18 person
- Our first Himalayan trek: Surmounting Har Ki Doon
- How I Met Koushik and Vardhan
- Kashmir Great Lakes – A journey through Heaven!!!
- Here is how a 6-year-old trekked with us
- If you hate travelling…a trek is worth it!
- Postpone everything and go for the ultimate, Stok Kangri
- We will continue cleaning…until the mountains are garbage free
- Can you choose between the two lake treks of the Kashmir Valley?
- Are you ready for the Kang Yatse challenge?
- When there are risks, good management always work
- How we achieved more than 90% summit rate on Stok Kangri
- Leh One Day Cycling
- Is Trek Insurance really required?
- What do these trekking terms mean?
- Get fitter while saving the mountains
- These villages will definitely give you a complex about your homeplace
- Kaleidoscopic Kedarkantha
- How it feels to celebrate your birthday at Chadar
- My First Himalyan sojourn…a dream come true!
- How to measure Chadar trek (and perhaps some bit of life)?
- KedarKantha, Best Winter trek organized by Trek The Himalayas (TTH)
- Bramhatal Trek
- Yes, we bleed and we trek!
- Reach to bigger mountains with these small weekend treks
- Trekking with the mountain ladies: Bachendri Pal and Premlata Agarwal
- Make incomplete Stok Kangri trek complete with Markha Valley trek
- Because the family always comes first!
- An Unplanned trek is not always the best
- Rebirth of a Forgotten Trek – Pindari Glacier trek
- The age of Roopkund trek is over. So what?
- Tips for Lightweight backpacking
- My ‘Meri trek story’ is actually my ‘Life story’
- This summer choose Mountains over Beaches: Buran Ghati trek
- Welcome 2019 with Adventures never experienced before
- I am a Trekker and not a Tourist
- This summer choose mountains over beaches: Pindari Glacier trek
- 7 common mistakes that you’re ignoring as a cyclist
- Be a celebrity in the mountains
- Rent and make Himalayan Trekking Easy
- ‘How to live’ authored by MOUNTAINS
- Markha Valley Trek
- Lady Leopard of the Himalayas: Stok Kangri
- A perfect guide to your snow peak adventures
- RupinPass : A trek to remember
- Things to make a note of before visiting the winter wonderland: Chadar Trek
- HAMPTA PASS – THE PASS TO HEAVEN
- IS IT WORTH VISITING-MUNSIARI
Walking Hacks In The Mountain
- Are you really prepared for a winter trek?
- World Tourism Day
- Roopkund – where the mystery unfolds!!
- Swachh Bharat and Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
- Why an incomplete trek is counted as a complete one
- The reason why most people want to quit their jobs and travel to the mountains
- A Journey to the Incredible Twin Lakes – Aug 12 2018
- Valley of Flowers
- What makes Dayara Bugyal the ideal winter wonderland
- Things you should make a note of before choosing a trekking company
- HAR KI DUN TREK 13may – 19may 2018
- My First Himalayan Trek — Hampta Pass Trek
- Green Trail – Trek The Himalayas
- Treasures of the Orient: Goechala
- Reminiscence of Pangarchulla trek
- In search of the Mystery Lake- Rookund
- Monsoon Scenes from a Year Ago On Har Ki Dun
- Roopkund: Stairway to heaven
- Pangarchulla Peak
- Pangarchulla Peak Trek
- Chadar Trek with Trek The Himalayas
- Best Monsoon trek in Himalayas
- Behind the scenes of organising a successful trek
- Winter Kuari Pass Trek – Trekking in Uttarakhand
- This Summer Explore The Hidden Treasures Under The Snow-Cover
- Gangotri Gomukh Tapovan Trek – Hidden adventures at the most religious place on Earth
- A trek to the unseen part of Himalayas (Bagini Glacier)
- TRAVEL DIARIES
- Kedarkantha Trek experience with Trek The Himalayas (TTH)
- WINTER KUARI PASS (WKP) TREK 16th December- 21st December 2017
- Travelogue with TTH to Kedarkantha
- 5 Reasons True-blue Himalayan Wanderers Shouldn’t Miss the Mountains in Winter
- The Green Cause: Trekking to Spread Eco-Awareness in the Himalayas
- The Tent Question: Our Thoughts on Two-in-a-tent vs Three-in-a-tent
- The Dzukuo Misadventure
- Reminiscence of Roopkund Trek
- Why to go somewhere else, when our India is so beautiful… RUPIN PASS PHOTO BLOG
- What’s Hot in Winter Kuari Pass Trek Starting this November
- Confessions of a Stok summitieer!!!
- PackWise: Some Scrumptious Eatables to Make Your Trek Extra Delicious
- “Last Crucial Hour Before The Summit: Mt. StokKangri”
- Kashmir through my eyes
- Rupin Pass Trek
- Our First Himalayan Trek: RUPIN PASS
- Roopkund Trek
- How Trek the Himalayas Reclaimed the Mountains with Green Trails Cleaning This June
- “Winter” Kuari Pass: When the TTH Recce Team Found the Quintessential Himalayan Snow Trek
- My first ever Himalayan trek- Pangarchulla Peak Trek
- PackWise: 3 Essentials you Cannot Miss When Packing for a Monsoon Trek
- Update Your Calendar with Our Top Weekend Treks
- Our Roopkund Itinerary: Fail-Safe and Frustration-Free
- Knowing Pangarchulla from a Distance: Visions from Another Trail
- PackWise: 4 Things to Trek with When You are on Your Periods
- Pin Parvati Pass and Chandra Tal trek
- SHRIKHAND MAHADEV
- Kuari Conquered: A Lyrical Chronicle!
- Hampta Pass Trek – Himalayas Trek
- Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
- My dream trek to Stok Kangri
- MYSTRIES OF KEDARKANTHA
- 2017: A year of adventure
- GO SOLO :MEET YOUR DRAGONS”-KUARI PASS TREK
- GETTING HIGH ON MOUNTAIN PEAKS: Kuari Pass Trek
- The Prayag-Confluence of Mind, Body and Soul!
- चंद्रशिला से गुफ्तगू
- Roopkund Lake Trek
- Like a Mountain on My Back: Roopkund Trek
- My calling for Kuari Pass in Winter
- 6 must-follow mountain biking techniques for every rider
- “MY FIRST TREK OF LIFE- HKD- Meri Kahaani, meri jubaani”
- “Excerpts from a Paradise: My Trek to Kashmir Great Lakes”
- CHADAR TREK : THE TREK OF MY LIFE!
- Tryst with Hampta Pass
- What makes Stok Kangri tough – Ladakh Trekking
- Stok Kangri Trek 2016, is stunning summit which thrills along the way
- 3 Prime reasons why I chose to do Pin Parvati Trek from Kullu
- Chadar Trek – A Walk on the Frozen River ‘Zanskar’
- Hampta Pass Trek
- The warmth of friendship … on the snow clad slopes…
- My First High Altitude Trek
- The Winter Kuari Pass Trek - An Anecdote
- Winter Kuari pass: Snowfall or summit?
- “Emotional Trek with my Son to Leh on Chadar Lake”
- Roopkund Trek – The Memories of a Life Time…
- Dream comes true on heavenly journey – Chadar trek
- Roopkund – A Mysterious Adventure
- RoopKund – A Quintessential Himalayan Trek
- 6 things to make your Himalayan monsoon trek a lot more enjoyable
- How to prepare for a high altitude trek in the Himalayas?
- THE ROOPKUND LAKE TREK
- Chadar Trek Memories
- Chader Frozen River Trek
- Valley Of Flowers – MESMERIZING MEMORIES My experience
- Rupin Pass- My Himalayan journey to Rupin Pass trek
- Top 10 Summer Himalayan Treks in India
- The 20000 Air _Stok Kangri Expedition_My Experience
- Hampta Pass Trek
- Roopkund Trek:Oct 2014
- There is always a first time
- Top Winter Treks in Indian Himalayas
- Valley of Flowers: A must do for a flower lover
- Roopkund : A Journey Within
- A young adventurer’s paradise
- Revealing the mystery at Roopkund
- Goechala: The best of Sikkim packed in one trek
- Why I choose Hampta Pass as my first trek?
- Capturing the peaks at Pin Parvati Pass trek
- Learn all that they don’t teach you at top management schools at bagini glacier trek: Himalayan treks, trekking in himalays
- Winter Trek to Kuari Pass and Pangarchulla (Sky Watch New Year – Skies from Kuari Pass, UK)
- Why is Valley of Flowers trek a perfect family holiday
- Why is Roopkund trek recommended for Corporate Personnel?
- 8 Reasons why your teenage kid will love Har ki Doon
- Why is Har Ki Doon Trek the perfect choice for a first-timer?
- Why is world tour incomplete without a Himalaya trek ?
- Majesty Mountain – Nanda Devi East Base Camp
- Walking on Frozen River, Chadar Trek
- Tranquility and placidity at Kuari Pass
- Snow leopard Valley- Markha Valley trek
- Charismatic Kashmir- Kashmir Great Lake Trekking
- Mount Shitidhar: Winter Expedition 2013
- Roopkund Trek “Caught In The Weather Web”
- Idyllic Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
- Why Trekking With Professional Company
- Stok Kangri Expedition
- Etiquettes in the Himalayas
- 10 tips that make Chadar Trek Easier
- Stok Kangri Expedition – Ladakh
- The Roopkund Trek: High in the Mountains
- Kashmir Great Lakes Trek – Himalayan Experience of a First Timer
- Glacier trek to Bagini in Garhwal Himalaya Joshimath
- A Moderate Trek to Har ki Doon
- Roopkund Trek (18th May 2014)
- Rhododendrons Trek- Goecha La Trekking
- 05 days trek to Chandrtaal lake and Hampta pass
- Never-to-take things on a Chadar Trek
- A Journey Beyond Limits: My Trek To Roopkund
- A Beautiful Climb – Stok Kangri Expedition
- The 70MM Story of 7 Lakes- Kashmir Great Trek
- My Himalayan trek experience with TTH- Har ki Dun Trek
- An Enigma called Roopkund
- To Be A Nomad
- Stok Adhura
- Hidden Valley Bagini Glacier Trek
- Bagini Glacier Trek
- Place of Lamas- Stok Kangri Climb
- Trek to Goechala Trek in Sikkim Himalayas
- The Great Lakes Trek Kashmir
- Facing Emergencies at high altitude treks
- First Himalayan trek in Grahwal- Har ki doon
- In the Soul of Himalayas
- The last 16 hours at Stok Kangri
- Six Things about Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
- Desert Land, amazing Landscape, Stok Kangri Trek
- The simplest way to choose your next Himalayan trek
- Romancing in the Himalayas. Kashmir Great Lake Trek
- Valley of Boulders and Peaks- Sunderdhunga Glacier Trek
- Snow Winter Kauri Pass
- 07 days in Uttarakhand Himalayas, Roopkund Trek
- Himalayan Village trek to Pindari glacier trek
- Zanskar Frozen River Trek
- Frozen River trek in Ladakh, Chadar Trekking
- Forest, Meadows, Snow and Lake- Roopkud Trek
- Trek to Mystery Lake- Roopkund Trek
- Winter Trekking to Kuari Pass
- A journey Kullu valley to Spitti, Hampta trek
- Trekking in Sikkim- Goechala Trek
- A completer trek to Hampta Pass
- Bagini Glacier and Changbang Base Camp Trek
- Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
- Kuari Pass Trek———what the heck?
- Acute Mountain Sickness
- Idyllic Kashmir Great Lake trek
- Say No to Alcohol While Trekking
- Fitness for the Himalayan Trek
- How to Pack Bags for Backpacking
- How to Opt Best Trekking Shoe
- Dzukou Valley Trek (Kohima, Nagaland)